Monday, January 11, 2010

meat and meetings

meatloaf was a disaster, by the way. well, i heard it tasted good but i didn't eat any of it because i was afraid of it. it WOULDN'T COOK. every time i took it out and dug it up and peered into the folds of meat and bread crumbs, i saw pink and PINK scares me (sometimes not only in meaty situations). so i went out and got us fast food after cooking for a few hours; some friends who like rare meat devoured it later and as of today (four days later), they are still alive. so maybe not a total disaster, but disappointing nonetheless.

i thought of all these great things to write about this weekend, but i didn't get a chance to sit down and now they've all left my head. i've often thought about buying a little tape recorder to talk into when my hands are indisposed. ESPECIALLY for in the car. my best thoughts, best metaphors, best imagery seems to wiggle into my brain in the early hours of the morning commute. on the way home i am grumpy and distracting myself with NPR, but the morning is somehow peaceful and still and i find myself quite enjoying putting on cruise control and sipping my coffee all the way to winston. i hope in my life-time they invent the automatic car. i mean, the kind of car that automatically drives itself somewhere, or at least has the option. i like being in control sometimes, but other times id like to be free to watch the scenery go by or read a book or write or knit. i thought of how they could do it, too...sensors on the side of the road. tracks would be too primitive (that is SO Jurassic Park). i havent though through all the scenarios but maybe this will make me famous once all the trouble-shooting is done (shhhh, i know they had cars like that in Minority Report, but thankfully, no one watched that movie).

for some reason, since Christmas, my creativity has truly bloomed. i have a new-found love called card making (first sparked by Emily Garrett's mad skills), and i think i might be finally ready to knit again. i'm even entertaining the idea of an account on etsy, but i'll have to stock up on completed projects before i'm ready to take that dive. im also tired of not writing anymore. i used to be proud of my writing, but i practiced a lot in college with my e-journal. i still go back and read those entries and laugh at my own cleverness. these days when i write, i feel like the tin man in The Wizard of Oz when he first meets Dorothy. at least he knew what would get his limbs moving again; i'm not so sure about my muse yet. speaking of Dorothy, i just recently read Wicked and am trying to work up a review of it when I figure out why exactly I liked it so much.

as i drove home last night through my neighborhood, i passed a teenage girl hugging herself close against the cold walking down the side of the road. her carefully applied make-up suggested to me that she was not on her daily work out. on the contrary, as i turned right off of carolwood, i soon passed a teenage boy in the process of zipping up his hoodie and sauntering in the direction of, i can only assume, his romantic dusk rendezvous with said girl. it reminded me of secretive meetings in mikey's old crown vic (that were more often than not interrupted by cautious policemen) and the warm, tingly feeling of being near the one i loved--i'd like to say a more appropriate scenario than the hormonal fling formerly mentioned, seeing as how we're married and all, but i'd have to say "not really" if i were being honest with myself.

but oh how irresistible the draw of love!
(ie: the raging of hormones)

No comments: