Monday, January 25, 2010

invited in

"One of the signatures that has developed out of our marriage that I love most is the fact that when our door is unlocked, people don't even knock--they know they are going to only hear the call "come in!" and no one is going to get the door for them anyway. I love this because it says to me, 'I know I am welcome.' " (www.fisselsonamission.blogspot.com)

i wrote this as i was updating our fissel blog about our married life. when i wrote that last line, i was overwhelmed with this sense that THAT is something i want to be able to say when i come into the presence of God. i want to feel like i am being invited in, not that i'm barging in. i want to walk into the moment with Him as if i were walking into my own house, comfortable, familiar, at ease. i want to know he is waiting at the top of the stairs, relaxed with a cup of coffee in his hand and another on the table waiting for me, just the way i like it. and in this embracing atmosphere, i want to settle in and talk and talk and talk. talk until i am absolutely blue in the face and have no breath left, and not suddenly feel that i am sitting alone.

by myself.

in an empty room.

one coffee mug before me.

and that i am very, very silly.

No comments: