Thursday, November 11, 2010

waiting

we hate waiting. that's really what it all boils down to. and we hate that our world is made up of one interim after another--gray times, thin and stretching and long...ever so long.
everything is waiting. everything is gradual.
pregnancy.
learning an instrument.
learning anything.
growing friendships.
getting in shape.
(keeping your shape).
making a meal.
perhaps it wouldnt be so bad if we didnt live in a country that stands defiantly, chest puffed out, and shouts "I REFUSE TO WAIT!"
so our friendships are fake.
and we give up our dreams.
and we use surgery instead of the treadmill.
and we drive through to pick up dinner.

6 comments:

Emily said...

I love how, thousands of miles apart, we're dealing with the same struggle. That means this is bigger than geography. It may not be bigger than culture, but I think the tendency toward impatience, daydreaming-instead-of-living, and the aversion to process, is just HUMAN.

MarySuz said...

i feel like you're calling me out, girl! sheesh, we share one heart, dont we?

Amanda Emery said...

I love you laura, and I value you're patience <3

stephanie wright said...

I was in a Bible study recently on the book of Esther and we were observing how critical timing is in the book. There were times Esther had to act and there were times she waited to act and we see God in the background working out an amazing series of events in perfect timing that brought about the salvation of His people. The point was made that our culture trains us in impatience. Scripture, on the other hand, repeatedly instructs us to WAIT on the Lord. There are many such injunctions in the Psalms but the one that encourages me the most is the passage in Isaiah 40:31. As you described in your post, waiting for an event is often "gray..., thin..., stretching and long" in short, exhausting. In contrast, those who wait on the Lord are promised renewed strength, ability to FLY, energy for the marathons of life, and perhaps stamina to walk the more mundane paths of life without growing weary of them. I would like to live the kind of life that sees God in the background taking the everyday events that would call me to impatience and redeeming them as I wait on Him, for my good and for His glory.

Julie said...

Amen, sister. You can throw learning a language in there...sheesh! xoxoxox

Melody said...

So true! I feel like I am constantly looking for that next thing and I hardly take the time to enjoy the life he has given me. Love u Laura!